I told myself that I would always try to be fair about my posts. That I would not just share the successes, but the failures as well.
This project initially seemed like a success, but it did not last long.
There is a lot to do around the homestead, and it always isn’t gardens and ducks. Our home is several hundred feet off of the road, which makes for a really long water pipe coming in from our meter. It follows our driveway, and some runoff has happened, exposing the pipe.
I needed to fix that before someone drove over it and breaks it – making a much worse problem than just covering the hole back up.
I expected this to be a pretty simple thing. After all, it is just a hole in the ground, and we have 7 acres of dirt I can use to fill up a little hole. The plan was simple enough. I have a huge pile of top soil that the nice folks who flattened our land for our home to be built on had pushed to one area of the back yard.
I would take the soil from there and fill up the hole! Then I would chip up some wood from the saplings nearby and cover up the fresh dirt. Drive over it a few times to pack it in and be done.
Repairing the Pothole
It all went according to plan. I made several trips, getting all of the dirt into the whole. It was a much larger whole than it appeared to be! I chipped up the wood and put down about a 1-2 inch layer on top. It looked quite nice and took less than two hours and I went to bed that night quite satisfied.
It all came to an end just a few days later when we had a good downpour of rain. About 1/3 of it washed out. I do not really know exactly what happened, but here is what I think went wrong.
The ground that was the bottom of the hole is hard compacted red clay. The dirt I filled the hole with was nice garden-quality soil. I believe the water flowed through the rich soil, hit the hard soil and then continued flowing on top of the hard soil, washing away some of the soft rich soil with it.
I have always said we wanted you to come with us on our journey. No matter where that journey took us, I wanted to share our triumphs and failures so that you could avoid the hurdles we run into. That said, I hope you are able to learn from our mistakes and do a better job with your own repairs!